Wednesday 15 April 2015

Scented Reminders

A WAVE OF NOSTALGIA
I had the idea for this blog post earlier in the week when I sprayed my Chloé perfume (when you share a name with a brand, you gotta use them!) and was hit by a wave of nostalgia for being in Australia last year. I always find it cool how smells can remind you of certain times and places, and so I thought it might be fun to share with y'all some smells that remind me of different moments in my life.

LOVE, CHLOÉ PERFUME
In April of 2014 I went to Melbourne, Australia to visit my sister while she studying abroad there. And it was the best time of my life. I loved every second of it, from feeding wild rosellas along the great ocean road to having to change out of my converse because it had rained so hard. While I was there I mostly wore my Love, Chloé perfume. It's a floral scent but with a hint of spice mixed in too. Whenever I spray this perfume now, which is pretty much every time I'm going out somewhere nicer than uni or shopping, it reminds me of being in Melbourne.

BACON
This one is a bit different to the fanciness of my perfume but the smell of bacon reminds of Melbourne too. And that's because my sister's apartment always smelt like bacon because someone in one of the neighbouring apartments obviously enjoyed eating bacon, haha. This scent is so distinct to me to the point that I can remember perfectly how it smelt right now as I write this in my bedroom in England where nobody is cooking bacon!

DOVE WOMENS ORIGINAL DEODORANT
I use different brands of deodorant all the time, I just buy whatever is on offer, but whenever I use the original dove deodorant the smell really reminds me of summers while I was in secondary school. I don't know why it's summer in particular, but I just can't help thinking of the days when I used to go to the park all day with my friends and just sit and talk. In a weird way though, I really wish I wasn't reminded of those times because since leaving secondary school I realised how bad those friends treated me, and I lost contact with most of them. But hey, that's life. (Woah, this got deep real quick, back to the lighter stuff shall we!)

A CERTAIN BOOK SMELL
A true bookworm knows that not all books smell the same, and so with this one I don't mean all books, just a certain kind. It reminds of being little and reading The Faraway Tree, aka my favourite book ever when I was a child! It's hard to describe this smell properly because it's just a certain type of paper I guess, but the best way I can think of is that kind of felt, spongey material you get, mixed with paper? I can guarantee that most of you will have no clue what I'm talking about so I'm going to move on, haha.

RIGHT GUARD MENS DEODORANT 
I can't tell you what particular one, but I imagine it would just be the classic/original deodorant that right guard have, always reminds me of being at the Danny Elfman, Music from Tim Burton films concert that I went to at the Royal Albert Hall in 2014. I think it's because I was wearing this deodorant that night as it's what my dad uses and I'd ran out of my normal one, so I just borrowed his. Now, men's deodorant smells hella strong, so I could just smell it on myself all night. And now whenever I smell it it just reminds me of that evening (and seeing Helena Bonham Carter sing, which was crazy exciting because woman crush).

BYE!
And that's it! I'm sure there are more scents that remind me of different things, but I can't think of them right now, or in most cases, I can't distinguish what the smell actually is, which makes it a little bit hard to write about.

Are there any smells that remind you of certain times of your life? Let me know in the comments below and we can have a nice little scent based memory chat!

Thanks for reading, remember to follow me for new blog posts every week!

I hope you're having a wonderful day.

Love Chloe x


No comments:

Post a Comment